Looking through the bits box last night, I found a load of wheels. Since I'm getting started on painting up all the Imperial Guard I have had laying around for ages, I thought I could make use of them to mobilise some of the heavy weapons. So... I present the Heavy Automated Weapons System; three lascannon making up a heavy weapons squad.
Stub axles on the wheels from plastic rod, square section plastic tube for the axles, lascannon from razorbacks. Quick and easy.
Okay, a bit too easy - I added a bit more plastic to the sides of the platform to make it look a bit more solid, and some front bumpers. I will add some stowage on the back and a light on the front, but basically that's it. All I need now is a single crewmember for the squad - I will scratchbuild his arms so that he's using a remote control like you get for RC cars.
Sunday, June 24, 2012
Thursday, June 14, 2012
I'm not the best painter, and I'm certainly not the best photographer, but I really enjoyed painting up this year's Salute figure. The skin colour is much closer to the first picture than the second; I think the blue background has enhanced the redness of the skin. It is very much a painters' figure; plenty of detail, big areas to blend, a wide choice of colour schemes.
Just need to mount it on a proper base and it can go down the club for Monday's painting competition.
Sunday, June 03, 2012
I'm always on the lookout for useful bits and pieces for my models. Yesterday I ended up in Primark, and amongst their jewellery I found this piece for £4...
It had three dangly bits - I have disassembled one already - each with ten 3½ inch long lengths of 15 link-per-inch chain. The chain is fairly soft and thin, so it's very easy to combine a couple of lengths if you need to; I joined them up into two- and three-section lengths with a pair of needle-nose pliers. 35" per tassle, three tassles - by my reckoning, that's almost 9 feet of fine chain for under 50p per foot... bargain.